26 January 2009

Birch Street Half-double

 


Two of my best childhood friends lived in this house facing my driveway directly across the street during the 60s.
One of the few signed watercolors (I stopped signing the front of my paintings in the later 70s) this one dated 1969 you can see on the iron fence which had the most florabundant red climbing rose we never could control. Mid summers the black iron pointed trim fence was solid scarlet. We would hide behind the rose bush and make sound effects when a huckster selling STRAWberries (yelling the word with the emphasis on the STRAW...) came up the street)...like the large parrot up the street behind a curtain we NEVER saw but would yell to through the window to stir up the unknown people inside. I have no idea who they were behind the lace curtains which resembled Portugal when I traveled there many years later. This painting then is more of a portrait of Eddie and Tommy who made the wonder years more than a sitcom.

No comments: