26 January 2009

Mt. Washington Kentucky

 


This signed watercolor from 1977 (bold vertical signature up barn right of center) is one of the last paintings incorporating my visible signature). O'Keeffe had it right when she stopped spoiling her pristine surfaces of color with signatures, I believe she once explained...

Mt Washington almost doesn't exist as I knew it in 1977 when I lived on the edge of town. A sheriff behind me and powerful local merchants in the neighborhood, once a shooting occurred and nothing ever appeared in print of the murder.
All that is left are commercial quick stops, a by-pass allows traffic to breeze by this once historic site. They destroyed a mill that dated back to the 40-mule team days when wagons came up the Bardstown pike to Louisville... Even Louis XVI came through to stay at Talbot Tavern, now restored after a devastating fire, which left murals on the upper walls of the still open B&B. I spent the blizzard of '77 in this spot after returning from a farm in Louisville where I was stranded for weeks with a groups of artist friends, cooking, baking and experiencing one of the best reality shows I ever lived. The movie has not been made yet but it will have French subtitles.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: