29 January 2009

The DISNEY CODE in Marketing!!

Walt had it so right. I never liked cartoons as a child. Rocky and Bullwinkle were the only characters I enjoyed after Mighty Mouse ran its course...nevertheless: When I hear DISNEY state, in its TV ads, that "Hurry... get your copy because after such-and-such a date...IT'S GOING BACK INTO THE VAULT" I think...that's where my work has always been and I won't sell it in another media format, IF I even sell the ORIGINAL. Americans and consumers around the world have selected to BUY these DISNEY movies, not once, not twice, but maybe a fourth time as DISNEY reissues its collection in every NEW format available as technology streams into the digital age.

What a gimmick!

The problem with this for the visual artist, in this country, is that when you sell a painting the owner can do anything he/she wants to do with it. Only California law allows the artist to profit from the reselling of the original. Licensing?... that's where the intellectual properties we deserve begin to serve the creator of the work.

No comments: